Tuesday, April 10, 2012

A Sleepover With My Sissy

As most of you know, I have an adorable and funny little sister named Jamie.  We are only two years apart and have always been pretty close.  Of course, growing up, we had our fights and bouts of hating each other, but there were also the times when she would play the piano to me as I was falling asleep or when we begged our Dad to make a private hole in the wall between our rooms.

I have always been so grateful to have her for a sister and recently we got some much needed time away, just the two of us.

Our good friend Derk had a gift certificate for a nights stay in Park City, with a steak dinner and bottle of wine included.  He wasn't going to be able to use it, so he offered it to Mike and I.  Immediately, I started thinking, who are we going to get to watch the kids overnight, barely a month after we got home from our trip to Cabo?!?!
(That post is coming soon, I promise!)

I think it was Jamie who first jokingly planted the idea in me to take her along and leave Mike with the kids, but no matter whose idea it was, it was a great one!!  Don't get me wrong, a night away with my hubby is way too few and far between, but after several business trips where I was alone with the kiddos, I felt like he owed me one night=)  Plus, we owed Jamie too.

So a couple of weekends ago, we left our kids at home and Jamie and I headed off to our overnight retreat in the mountains.  We checked in and as we were sitting in our room, trying to plan our evening, we received a knock on the door from this guy...

The Cookie Man.

Yes, at 5:00 in the evening, they deliver hot, fresh cookies right to your room!  

After that, we headed down to the dining room for our steak dinner.  We arrived kind of early and were one of only a few other couples in the restaurant.  We didn't care, but if you asked the other couples, they would probably tell you that our laughter got a little loud more than a few times=)

Our dinner was SO good, but we were sitting right by the windows as the sun was starting to set, and between that, and the wine, we were getting pretty warm, and pretty loud, so we headed back up to our room.  We stayed up there, laughing so hard my face hurt, until we decided it was time to head down to the hot tub.  I didn't get any pictures of this, but here are some I found online.
The indoor part of the pool
The outdoor part and the hot tub we were in

It was wonderful!!  The temperature outside was just cool enough to keep us from getting too overheated in the hot tub, and we stayed out there soaking for well over an hour or two.  

By then, us tired mama's were pretty relaxed so we headed back up to the room to put on our p.j.'s and watch TV. 

Funny little thing about my sister, which I am sure she is just going to love that I am sharing with you...
When her kids were babies, I made each of them a blanket.  Apparently, she was stealing them because she loved them so much.  So when her last son was born, I made a pink one just for her.  And boy, does she love that blanket!!!  She takes it everywhere.  And I mean everywhere!  Vacations, in the car, to my Mom and Dad's for Sunday dinner... you name it.  So, of course, the pink blanket was with us in Park City=)

We didn't make through much of the movie before we were both sound asleep.

The next day, we got up and got ready and headed to get some bagels before hitting up the outlet mall for a little retail therapy.  It was such a beautiful sunny day and we had such a great time!  

Oh yeah, I almost forgot to mention some funny coincidences that happened on this trip!  

~ First up, when we first got to our room and were unpacking, I mentioned that I had brought along some snacks.  As I was unpacking my Diet Coke, microwave popcorn and licorice, my sister said, "Me too!  I brought Diet Coke, popcorn, and licorice!!"

~Second, as our waitress was describing to us what our free steak dinner included, I decided that I wanted to add a salad.  So the waitress brought us some menus and came back after a few minutes to see what we had decided.  Out of about six different salads, I chose one and ordered.  Jamie said, "That's exactly what I was going to order!"

 

~And last, I walked up to the counter at the bagel shop and said, "I'll have a cranberry bagel with blueberry cream cheese."  Jamie said, "That is weird!"  I said, "No it's not - it's good!  You should try it!"  She said, "I have.  That is exactly what I always get. Stop it!  This is really starting to freak me out!!!"

I guess we really are close=)

Thanks for watching the kids Mikey so we could get away, and thank you Sissy for giving me some of the best laughs I have had in a long time!  

LOVE YOU!!!

3 comments:

  1. I am so jealous! First of all, I'd love to have either one of you as a sister (I'm still hoping Parker will marry Tay and that will somehow make me related to you guys). And second, a night away sounds like heaven. Good for you girls!!! Now...Cabo pics please?;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man...that looks so fun! Meagan and I really need to plan something like that!!! I'm so glad that you had such a great time and got to have a little away from home retreat...you are both beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do I have the best sister, or what? Yes, I do!!! Thank you so much for taking me along with you, I had the BEST time and can't wait till we do it again. I love you so much and I am so lucky to have you as my sister!

    ReplyDelete

We Love Comments