I cannot believe it, but my baby is two!!!
I always hear parents say how fast time goes by, but now that I am a parent myself, I understand just what they were talking about!! It is crazy to think that it has already been two years since this miraculous little love entered the world. He brought endless amounts of love and joy with him, and I have loved every minute I have had with him in it.
For me, having a newborn was both thrilling and enchanting.
Having a toddler was exciting as we watched his personality start to develop, and to see all the new things he could do and was learning.
And now, I am very excited to see what joy having a two year old will bring into my life!
But before I get into telling you all about the birthday celebrating that went on, I just wanted to show you something.
This was my little man on his first birthday.
| CHEESE!!!! |
This was my little man on his first birthday.
This was him on his second birthday.
Notice anything similar?
Yes, at two years old he is still able to wear the same size 12 month shirt that we bought for him last year=) The sleeves no longer go clear to his elbows and it was a little shorter at the waist, but it still fit just fine. Gotta love that little man of mine!!!
Now onto the celebrating...
We celebrate birthdays BIG in our house, and as Ian is the center of our lives, his birthday was no exception. The day he was born is certainly something to be celebrated, so we tried to make it fun and exciting.
As do most 2 year old boys I know, Ian loves cars, trucks, tractors, trains - basically any automobile or mode of transportation. Well, we got the idea from a friend of ours for a train themed birthday this year and thought, what better way to kick off this celebration than with an actual train ride?!?! So we started the celebration a few days early by boarding the double-decker commuter train "Frontrunner" and heading north.
Notice anything similar?
Yes, at two years old he is still able to wear the same size 12 month shirt that we bought for him last year=) The sleeves no longer go clear to his elbows and it was a little shorter at the waist, but it still fit just fine. Gotta love that little man of mine!!!
Now onto the celebrating...
We celebrate birthdays BIG in our house, and as Ian is the center of our lives, his birthday was no exception. The day he was born is certainly something to be celebrated, so we tried to make it fun and exciting.
As do most 2 year old boys I know, Ian loves cars, trucks, tractors, trains - basically any automobile or mode of transportation. Well, we got the idea from a friend of ours for a train themed birthday this year and thought, what better way to kick off this celebration than with an actual train ride?!?! So we started the celebration a few days early by boarding the double-decker commuter train "Frontrunner" and heading north.
As you can see, Ian loved it!
| I love this one!! |
| This one is for Uncle David and Aunt Hollie=) |
If Ian ever decides to run for president, or become a doctor, we will have evidence that his dreams started early on!!!
We loved it and could've spent all day there if it weren't for our growling stomachs and a boy who would be in need of a nap soon. So we had lunch and got back on the train to head home.
The morning of Ian's actual birthday was really fun too. We put up a banner, which he loved!
And he got to open more presents, so he was in heaven!
Daddy bought him some hot wheels and some "race tracks" so this is how the rest of the morning was spent. (I could watch these two play together all day!)
| Our future musician! |
Ian had been asking for donuts all week, so for his birthday we got him one. We put a candle in it and when he saw it he exclaimed, "Ert-day (birthday) donut"! It was so cute!!
Last year we had everyone (my family, Mike's family and some friends) over to our house on Ian's birthday, and I think it is safe to say that we won't be doing that again any time soon! We had fun, but decided it would be better to have a few smaller celebrations this year instead=) So, later in the day on Ian's birthday, we went to Leatherby's for ice cream and to celebrate with Mike's family. Even though Ian isn't a huge ice cream fan (are we sure he is my kid?=), he did really good at the restaurant and had fun seeing everybody.
| He thought it was so funny when I leaned in for the picture, so he leaned in too=) |
Here is Ian's new fish tank.
The day after his birthday we celebrated with my family. We had pizza and I made him a birthday cake. I made him a cake last year too, and this is what he got then.
(I just LOVE that we have had our son in our lives long enough to have pictures to compare from previous holidays=)
(I just LOVE that we have had our son in our lives long enough to have pictures to compare from previous holidays=)
This year I debated about whether to make one again or just buy one instead. In the end, I decided that there is just something special for me about being able to make a birthday cake for my child, so I made it again. This year's was red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting...Mmmmmm! My mouth is watering just remembering it! Maybe I will go eat a piece for breakfast!
Here is what it looked like.
I cannot say enough about what having this boy in my life means to me. To steal the words from my friend Laura, it feels like I didn't really start living until he came along. He changed me so utterly and completely that I am a totally new person now. He has filled in a part of my soul that was missing, and transformed my heart into something I never knew was possible.
I am so grateful to have Ian as my son and so grateful to have the peace of knowing that we get to spend ALL of his birthdays with him!
Happy Birthday my big two year old boy!! I love you!!
Here is what it looked like.
![]() |
| Blowing out his candle. |
| More presents from Grandma and Grandpa. |
I am so grateful to have Ian as my son and so grateful to have the peace of knowing that we get to spend ALL of his birthdays with him!
Happy Birthday my big two year old boy!! I love you!!




Shelly this is awesome!! You are so talented, the way you have this layed out is so amazingly adorable!! I love it! I wish I could be there everyday to see him grow, he is such a sweet little guy and you and Mike are doing an outstanding job of raising him. He has no idea how lucky he is to have the two of you as Mommy and Daddy. Thank you so much for sharing this with me.....I love all of you!!! Love, Dianna
ReplyDeletethis is beautiful shelly! i love all the pictures and how you spread his birthday celebration out over a few days! :) we have been in between a choo choo train birthday theme for milo and an airplane them but about a week ago i decided on the airplane theme. ;) so funny how our boys are so much alike!
ReplyDeleteyour words speak right to my heart and everyday i feel so blessed to be a mom. :) ian's birthday celebrations were PERFECT!!! :)
I saw fry sauce in the picture with fries. I miss fry sauce!!!! Congratulations and a handsome little guy and that he is yours. You and Mike are great parents.
ReplyDeleteTodd
What a sweet post! You guys know how to celebrate birthdays the RIGHT way! How much fun...We would love to go to the Treehouse Museum with you someday. (We have passes there so I could get you in for free and just have to pay for Ian.) Let me know next time you are in the mood for an adventure up north. ;) I'm so glad you are a mommy and that you have your precious Ian. Congratulations on two beautiful years!
ReplyDelete