We participated in the Race for the Cure again this year, but because it was the morning after we got home from our vacation, and I have had other things to write about, I have been a little slow at posting about it.
But I didn't want to miss telling you what a wonderful and powerful experience it was. Of course, it was another very emotionally charged day for me.
I felt like this as we walked in and went looking for our team.
The energy at the starting line, even that early in the morning, is palpable and it is really difficult NOT to feel excited and energized!
Then the song started...
At the beginning of each race I have participated in, Melissa Etheridge's song "I Run For Life" starts loudly playing as the starting whistle is blown. The crowd slowly starts moving forward - a vast, churning, hopeful sea of pink. Thousands and thousands of people whose lives have all been affected by breast cancer in some way. It almost brings me to my knees every time.
I thought I could do it this year without tears. I thought that I would be so happy this year and that I would be cheering as I crossed that starting line with my Mama, who was not in a wheelchair this year, but walking tall and proud in her hot pink "Survivor" t-shirt. I have so much to be celebrating, and I knew my heart would be rejoicing that morning.
I most certainly was celebrating, yet as we got closer and closer, I just couldn't hold back the tears. I pushed my sunglasses up a little higher and tried to look away so my Mom wouldn't see. I just kept walking and taking deep breaths. Then, as we passed the podium at the starting line, they called out my Mom's name among the many names of survivors, and the tears started falling harder. My sunglasses weren't much of a disguise anymore.
Mike was in the front of the pack again this year with the runners, and I was walking back with my parents, my baby, and my Mom's friends Jeannette, Shanna and Landon. Jeannette looked over and saw me crying and put her arm around me as I squeaked, "I thought I could make it this year without crying". She must've tapped my Mom's arm, because she came over to wrap her arms around me and hold my hand tightly as we started the walk together.
We certainly didn't break any speed records during this walk, but the fact that my Mom walked the whole thing, healthy and cancer free, is something SO very precious to me. I find it hard to put into words what that feels like.
The race finishes at the Gateway Fountain. When the race is over, the Survivor's parade around the fountain and up the steps to stand in unison and support of one another. As I mentioned before, we were slow walkers, so we almost missed the parade. My Mom said we didn't have to stay for the rest, but I wanted her to stay. I wanted her to join the other survivors. I wanted her to celebrate all that she has overcome in the last year and a half.
I am so glad she agreed to stay.
She snuck into the back of the parade and took her rightful place on the stairs. Again, they played "I Run For Life" and my tears started all over again.
That song is powerful!!
I had gone up to the front to take pictures, while the rest of our team sat behind and rested in the shade. After a few moments, my Mom spotted me in the crowd and I could see as her own tears started to fall as well. She blew me a kiss and I will never forget how beautiful, brave and strong she looked standing up there.
I love you Mom!!! I know you know that, but I feel like I can never say it enough. I am SO very proud of you and how much strength you have had to overcome this hurdle. You mean so very much to me and I can't imagine a life without you. You have always shown me so much love and understanding and I can only hope to be like you someday!!!
I love you and Happy Birthday too!!!











okay shelly ~ i'm going to have to stop reading your blog if you're going to make me cry EVERY single time. ;) what an amazing and powerful experience! there is NO way I would have made it through without tears. I cry every single day of the 3-day walk here.....it's just one of those things. AND your mom is WITH you today and that's some huge emotion to be feeling! :)
ReplyDeleteI soooo wish I could have been there for this day. Next year I will be all better and be walking with all of you. This brought tears to my eyes as well. I love your mama. She's truly an AMAZING woman and I am so thankful to have her in my life!
ReplyDeletePS-You are equally amazing for the things you've done in your life with your precious little man. Two very strong women. You should be proud.