Monday, November 14, 2011

My Funny Ian

Whew...Life is kind of crazy these days!!! 

As I sit here writing this, Mike is in Minneapolis on the first, and hopefully last, business trip he has had to take in 10 years with his company. We found out on Thursday of last week that they wanted him to go and by Sunday afternoon, he was on a plane.  And, believe it or not, that is the least sudden of the crazy events happening  in our lives right now!

But with all this change and craziness, I have one thing that returns me to my calm... 
My family. 

They make me smile bigger than anything else and remind me every day of how blessed I truly am.

Today, as I am facing the second week without Mikey at home in less than a month, (thank you Vegas Ragnar=) I am really appreciating the other man in my life- My Ian.  He fills a part of my soul that would be empty without him and I am so grateful to have him in my life.

I still don't know how I got to be so lucky as to be the one entrusted and blessed to be his mom, and I probably never will.  But I do know that he brings a light and a joy into my life that wasn't there before.  He fills my days with both challenge and bliss, and I love that little man like crazy!!!

Here are a few of the little things that I love most about my favorite little man.

He is smarter than I could've ever imagined a young child to be! 
As we began negotiating the bumpy road of toddler-hood with him, we tried the whole "choices" route.  We would offer him two choices and let him choose.  From almost day one, if one of the choices did not fit into Ian's plan, he would just come up with a third.  For instance, a few weeks ago, as I was tucking Ian into bed, he asked for a drink.  As he had already brushed his teeth, I told him he could have water.  He started to freak out, insisting on milk.  So I told him it was either water or nothing, his choice.  As he sat thinking about it, I held up two fingers and again asked, "Water or nothing?"  He slowly reached up and lifted a third finger on my hand as he said, quite matter-of-factly, "Milk".

His recent favorite - hot chocolate.

His imagination is amazing!!  I love watching him at play and seeing where his imagination takes him.
Just the other day, he was in the other room playing when he yelled, "Mom!  Come save me!!"  I ran in to find him laying on the floor in the middle of the room with his arms straight down at his sides.  I asked what was the matter and he said, "I got shot with spider webs and I can't move.  Save me!!!" 

He is very inventive and comes up with brilliant ideas all the time. And he has very good problem solving skills.
We recently received a large toy advertisement from Target in the mail.  He instantly started thumbing through it and showing us all of the things he wanted.  So we had the talk about Santa and how we could write Santa a letter and ask him for a few of the things he wanted the most.  Over the next few days, every time Ian would see something he wanted, I would say, "Maybe we should ask Santa for that".
Well, a few days ago, we were having another talk about Mason leaving and talking about how it made us feel.  Then I asked Ian if he thought we should get a baby brother or sister that could stay with us forever.  His reply?  "Maybe we should ask Santa for that" =)
Movie Time

He loves to hang out with me, and he gives the BEST "tight ones", a.k.a. hugs.


He is super funny and charming!!!  
~Last night, I told him it was time to get out of the tub and he told me that he couldn't get out yet because he was "not very wrinkly".


~A couple of weeks ago, I was on the phone with Mike recounting a cute story of how we had been driving to the doctor's office and out of the blue Ian had said, "I love my Dad".  I chuckled as I told Mike.  After I hung up, Ian said, "Were you talking to my Dad?" So I told him yes and how Daddy had liked hearing that Ian had said he loved him.  Ian then said, "That's not funny Mom.  I'm serious!"

~ The other day he yelled, "Mom!  Come to the kitchen, quick!"  When I got there he informed me of the urgent emergency...  He "needed a Halloween treat".

~ When I got him out of bed the other day, the first thing he said was that he needed a drink.  I asked him, "Do you know what I need?"  He said, "Yes...ME!!!"

~ When he wakes up in the morning, he yells "Mommy!"  If I don't come get him fast enough, he gets louder and louder and louder!  Today when I got there, he gave me an impatient look and said, "Mom, I had to say it like this... MOM!!!!!"

Bedtime Story

Those are just a few of the funny things he says and does every day, and I am SO lucky to be the one to hear it!!!  With his funny daddy over 1,300 miles away, I sure am thankful to have this little man to keep me smiling!!!

1 comment:

We Love Comments