Wednesday, July 28, 2010

A Hero Among Us

In case you haven't heard, my husband is a hero.

He has been a hero to me for many years now, but last Saturday, he was publicly recognized for being a hero to some wonderfully deserving little people - the children of Utah's foster care system.  On the 24th of July, Mike was honored at the Real Salt Lake vs. Chivas USA soccer game for being a "Hero Among Us".

We were given 4 tickets, so in exchange for some babysitting services, we took my sisters two oldest boys, while Ian slept over at her house with her youngest son.  Zack and Parker have been asking to go to a game for a while, so we were excited to get to take them. They really enjoyed the game, the crowds, going down on the field afterward for the fireworks show, and there were only a couple of meltdowns=)

We started our evening with some dinner at my sister's house and then we headed out.  We were told to be there an hour early, and we ended up being more like an hour and 15 minutes early.  I guess we were a little excited=)  

We found our host and she hooked Mike up with his credentials so he could get onto the field.  Then we parted ways - he went inside and the rest of us headed for our seats.  Seats that were in the sun.  It was SO hot!!!  So instead of sitting there in pools of our own sweat for the next hour until the game started, we went in search of snow cones and shade.
(P.S. I don't know what is up with the font size in this post, but it keeps wigging out, and I have tried, unsuccessfully, several times to fix it - sorry)

Eventually, we found our way back to our seats and about 10 minutes before kickoff, the announcer began introducing Mike over the loud speaker.  Although the sun had started going down by then, I couldn't get a good shot of Mike on the field because of the bright sun.  So instead, I shot a video of the JumboTron.  Again, the sun was in my eyes, so I couldn't even see the screen of my camera and just hoped that I was getting it.  So I apologize for the shaky cam, and you can't really hear what is being said, but here is a little clip of Mike's big moment.

Here is what was posted about him on Real Salt Lake's official website...

Mike Millgate Honored as Saturday’s RSL/American Express “Heroes Among Us”

Real Salt Lake and American Express are proud to honor Mike Millgate as this Saturday’s recipient of the “Heroes Among Us” award for going the extra mile – or, as will be the case, miles – for area foster children. Mr. Millgate and his wife recently added to their family by adopting a son through the foster care system, and his kindness and generosity resulted in him being named one of five 2010 “Foster Fathers of the Year” by KSL at its Family Fair at The Gateway last month during Father’s Day weekend.

In future months, Millgate will turn his attention to spreading the word and raising money for the foster care system by hitting the road. When he participates in his first marathon this August, Mike will use the opportunity to earn money for the Utah Foster Care Foundation through his website, http://www.run2100.com, where supporters can donate. The Riverton native is also organizing a team for the Ragnar Relay from Logan to Park City next June, during which he and his team will be wearing “run-2-100” shirts to promote this worthy cause. 

For being a loving father to his growing family and serving as a caring example for the foster care system, RSL and American Express are proud to present Mike Millgate with an RSL jersey that signifies him as a true “Hero Among Us.”


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mike was given an official Real Salt Lake jersey, complete with his last name on the back.  It was really cool!

The whole night in general was pretty cool.  I will admit that it was a little surreal to see our faces on the big screen, and to hear Mike's name over the loud speaker.  But it was an incredible honor, and one that we were truly grateful for.  Exposure can be a very good thing.  Case in point, when Mike checked his website earlier in the day Saturday, the counter was somewhere around 2,400 visitors.  When we checked it Sunday morning, it was closer to 4,000.  If at least some of those visitors took the time to donate to the foster care system,  then it was definitely a huge success!!

Mikey - Thank you for being such an amazing man, husband, and father.  Thank you for taking the initiative to try and help those less fortunate than you.  That is an admirable and respectable trait that I am glad our son will learn from you.  You are doing amazing things, and I am incredibly proud of you for it. 
I LOVE YOU, MY HERO!!!! 



1 comment:

  1. Congrats Mike!
    Good golly... if I could run without dying, I would so be game to do this with you!
    Shelly.. we should walk around the state for money. I maybe could do that. Haha! Good for him!

    ReplyDelete

We Love Comments