Okay, so I promised you a post that would make you smile...and here it is! (If it also brings a few tears, I am sure they will be tears of joy!)
Today was my Mama's FINAL radiation treatment!!!!! After enduring months of chemotherapy and all of the pain, sickness, fatigue, stress, hair loss, and everything else that came with it, she then had to dive right into 6 weeks of radiation treatment. One treatment, 5 days a week, for 6 weeks.
I am tired just thinking about all that she has endured. But now we can all breath a little easier, because did I mention?
SHE IS DONE!!!!
She has some scars, and her skin is angry, red and inflamed from all of the radiation. But she also has three eyelashes, a few little stubby eyebrows, and some patchy salt and pepper fuzz growing in under her wig - definitely a reason for celebration!!
My sister and I spent the day with her and our kids relaxing, celebrating, and just being together. We started at Gardner Village admiring the witchy Halloween scene.
| Of course we couldn't get all of them to look at the camera at the same time! |
| He loved the witches that were animated and moving. |
| Look Grandma!! |
After that, we had a delicious, albeit a little crazy (with four boys) lunch. Then it was time. We headed over to the hospital for my Mom's last time (hopefully FOREVER!!!) We tried to keep the boys occupied with a bouncy ball and some candy.
![]() |
| Aunt Jamie didn't care that she had to bribe him with candy - she was just enjoying the cuddles! |
After Mom was all done, it was time to ring the bell.
Everyone took their turn.
I was also able to be there to watch my Mom ring the bell after she finished her final chemo treatment. Although I sometimes have a hard time remembering things, I will surely never forget the look on her face that day.
It was the same look I saw as she rang the bell again today. I have never seen so much happiness and relief in my Mom's eyes before, and it is a memory I will hold close to my heart, always.
I love you so much Mom, and I have so much admiration for the way you have battled this cancer. You have been more brave than I could ever dream to be, and have been so strong and positive through it all. I know it is because of your positive attitude and strength that the rest of our family was able to make it through each day with you. I hope you will never suffer again the way you already have, and I pray you will stay with us for a long, long, long, long time!
Hug your Mom a little tighter today, and give her an extra "I Love You Mom". I know I will!!


Congratulations to your mom, that is very exciting news. She looks like she has a great spirit and attitude about life. What a great day for all of you.
ReplyDeleteHeather S.
soooo i'm in tears again. ;)
ReplyDeleteYAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So happy that is ALL over with!!! I can't even imagine having to watch my mom go through such a rough experience. Praying for lifelong health from here on out!!! :) So happy for your mom and for your whole entire family. Thanks for sharing!!