Today I am going to rant for a moment about something that irks me. Yes, I said irk. It's a real word...I looked it up.
Anyway, I am just trying to give you all a fair warning that today's post isn't going to be sweet or sugar coated. It's going to be opinionated, and it might make some of you mad or just make you think that I am a little nutsy.
And the craziest thing of all is that this isn't even an issue that bothers me all of the time. Sometimes I don't even notice it. And because I am a woman, with the ability to change my feelings at the drop of a hat, it probably won't even bother me tomorrow. But for whatever reason, it is really bothering me today so I want to take a minute and get it off my chest.
(Please enjoy the view of me up on my soap box for the next minute or two=)
So what is it that has me irked today? Labels.
And the craziest thing of all is that this isn't even an issue that bothers me all of the time. Sometimes I don't even notice it. And because I am a woman, with the ability to change my feelings at the drop of a hat, it probably won't even bother me tomorrow. But for whatever reason, it is really bothering me today so I want to take a minute and get it off my chest.
(Please enjoy the view of me up on my soap box for the next minute or two=)
So what is it that has me irked today? Labels.
I hate labels.
In fact, it might be fair to say that I loathe labels!
No, not those wonderful, organizational kind of labels that indicate flour vs. sugar - those labels I love!
In fact, it might be fair to say that I loathe labels!
No, not those wonderful, organizational kind of labels that indicate flour vs. sugar - those labels I love!
But the kind of labels that are placed on people, either justly or unjustly.
Labels are something that I admittedly didn't give much thought to until one
(a pretty big one) was placed upon my shoulders - INFERTILE.
And the thing is, this description of me is true - it is a fact. But it is NOT something I am happy about or something that I want to be reminded of in any way!
Does anyone honestly believe that an infertile person needs to be reminded that they suffer from such a thing? Does anyone honestly think that a single day, hour or minute goes by that they don't wish things could be different?
Can't I just be a woman, and not an "infertile" woman?!?!?
Here are just a few more of the labels that have come into my life that have the ability to make me cringe.
Adoptive parent
White parent
Black child
Now please don't get me wrong here...I am, in absolutely NO way, saying that I am not proud to be an adoptive, Caucasian mother with a bi-racial son who is half Caucasian and half African-American. That is most certainly NOT the case. I could not be more proud of this, or the way we came to be a family. I love adoption and I am grateful, every single day, for the blessings that have come into my life because of it. And don't even get me started on that deliciously tasty, softer than silk, milk chocolaty skin that I SO wish I could claim any sort of responsibility for!!!
What I am saying is that sometimes I wish people could look at me and just see a mom. Not an "adoptive" mom, or a "white" mom, or even a "foster" mom, but just a mom. I wish they could look at my son and just see my beautiful son - not my "adopted" son or my "biracial" child. I wish that we could have the choice as to whom we tell our story to, and not have people automatically make their own assumptions. I wish that they could learn Ian was adopted and not automatically assume that "there must be something wrong with them", even if there is. I understand that this is normal human behavior, and it isn't always meant to be hurtful, and wishing it away simply is an unrealistic dream. But I guess it just gets to me some days that some people cannot seem to see us without these labels.
On rare occasions, usually when Mike is not around, I have had strangers assume that Ian is my biological son, and I have to admit that those brief moments felt SO good!!! Again, it is not that I am ashamed or embarrassed or feel any other negative connotation about our relationship. It just felt good, for a brief moment, to not have to explain how we came to be a family, or justify how it is that I came to be his mother. We just were. Plain and simple. We were a family because we were meant to be - just like everybody else.
Because that is how it feels to me. These labels don't even exist in my everyday thoughts. In fact, sometimes I am genuinely taken aback when someone uses one of these terms in regards to me or my family. I simply don't think of us as a biracial family, an adoptive family, or anything else - to me, we are just a family.
That doesn't mean that I do not understand the extreme importance of helping to establish and nurture a positive and healthy racial identity in my son. I know that I have an incredibly important duty to teach and guide my son toward learning as much as he can about his races - all of them. I want him to be proud of who he is and ALL of the miraculous wonders that make him Ian.
And believe me, I really do understand that sometimes it is important for us to wear our "adoption" hat and promote this beautiful blessing in a positive light, or to share our story in hopes that it might help someone else. I guess I also just wish that sometimes we could take off those hats and just be...
Just be a mom and her son.
That doesn't mean that I do not understand the extreme importance of helping to establish and nurture a positive and healthy racial identity in my son. I know that I have an incredibly important duty to teach and guide my son toward learning as much as he can about his races - all of them. I want him to be proud of who he is and ALL of the miraculous wonders that make him Ian.
And believe me, I really do understand that sometimes it is important for us to wear our "adoption" hat and promote this beautiful blessing in a positive light, or to share our story in hopes that it might help someone else. I guess I also just wish that sometimes we could take off those hats and just be...
Just be a mom and her son.
The bond that I feel for my son is stronger than anything else I have ever felt or experienced before in my life. The immensity of it is something that is beyond the limitations of my vocabulary to explain. And in some small way, I feel that putting a label on the sweet pureness of a mother's or father's relationship with their child, is like demeaning it or diminishing it in some way. As if to say that if we are not connected through DNA, then our bond must not be as strong or as completely whole as a biological family's connection.
I understand that this probably isn't the intention, but it still feels that way sometimes in my heart. As much as I love telling our story and as proud as I am of all the accurately descriptive adjectives that can be used to describe us, some days it just gets to me and I wish that we could just strip away the labels and simply be a family.
One of the hardest parts of this issue for me, and the biggest reason why I think this is even bothering me at all, is that we have someone, close to our family, who feels the need to place an immense amount of importance on these labels. We can never have even a simple conversation without these issues coming into play. It is very tiring, and it wears on my heart. But voicing my feelings about it is simply not an option if we hope to keep this person in our life. I guess sometimes it just feels like too much and out comes a blog post - lucky you!!=)
One of the hardest parts of this issue for me, and the biggest reason why I think this is even bothering me at all, is that we have someone, close to our family, who feels the need to place an immense amount of importance on these labels. We can never have even a simple conversation without these issues coming into play. It is very tiring, and it wears on my heart. But voicing my feelings about it is simply not an option if we hope to keep this person in our life. I guess sometimes it just feels like too much and out comes a blog post - lucky you!!=)
I do know that this issue doesn't apply only to us. I know that labeling happens to so many people around us, and it makes me so sad. And it makes me worry and wonder if I have ever made someone else feel unfairly labeled. I hope not, but I probably have at some point in my life. I know I will certainly think twice before I do it from now on!
Has it happened to you?
What are your thoughts?
Does it bother you too or do you think I am overreacting?
Has it happened to you?
What are your thoughts?
Does it bother you too or do you think I am overreacting?
I know that labeling is an inevitable part of life. I do. I know that some labels are necessary and even helpful or productive. And like I mentioned in the beginning of this post, sometimes these labels don't bother me at all. Maybe it can be chalked up to the weather, or hormones, or whatever, but I am glad that whatever the cause, it gave me pause to stop and think about this subject and how it affects me and how it might affect you too.
I challenge our society (and all 4 of you who might be reading this=) to think hard before assuming anything or unjustly labeling someone else, because even if the description fits, it can still hurt.
I challenge our society (and all 4 of you who might be reading this=) to think hard before assuming anything or unjustly labeling someone else, because even if the description fits, it can still hurt.



You know what label I hate...Autism and/or Asperger's. Pretty much everyone on the planet has autistic tendencies. Most kids at the school struggle harder than my son, but he is working his way out from under that label. :) I don't think people mean to judge or label, it is just human nature. I try to remind myself of that every day and to be the one who breaks the mold, the one who doesn't pass judgement, the one who doesn't label...some days it is easier than others...
ReplyDeleteLaura's silly, long comment: part one
ReplyDeleteShelly, you are definitely not alone in feeling this way! I feel like most people when they see me think of me first as an “adoptive mom” unless they know me really well and then they just think of me as Laura. Sometimes this bothers me, some days I don’t even think about it, and some days I think my perception of this is probably exaggerated. Everyone is different and, like it or not, I think it’s impossible to not distinguish people by those differences. I’m sure I do it every day: “That’s the person who’s mom died.”, “That’s the person who’s husband lost their job.”, “That’s the person who has an amazing singing voice.” Etc. I’m just the person who “couldn’t have kids and adopted.” What complicates my/our label is how much baggage goes into it.
Laura's silly, long comment: part two
ReplyDeleteIt has amazed me how controversial adoption is. It feels to me like hardly anyone is un-opinionated about it. Just about everyone's life has been touched by it in some way or other; they have a friend/neighbor/family member who adopted/was adopted/placed a child for adoption and so a lot of people have STRONG feelings about it. You get the people who LOVE it because they have seen it as a miracle that it is and it has changed their lives in profound ways. You get the people who, maybe unconsciously or not, think of it as second best and tell you, “I think that is so great that you adopted. I don’t think I could ever do that.” or “My husband and I are having a really hard time getting pregnant but adoption just isn’t something we can do.” You get the people who say they like adoption but really don’t, “My daughter is a horrible mother and ignores her child. I have to raise her daughter and I’m not happy about it. We could never do adoption though.” I’ve gotten ALL of those and more both from complete strangers and friends alike.
Laura's silly, long comment: part three
ReplyDeleteIt can be hard coming from complete, random strangers at the grocery store or park because they don’t know me and so don’t care at all about my feelings so they aren’t as careful with what they say and because those conversations are so out of the blue. Also, I’m not building a relationship with these people like I would friends and so their questions and comments just feel nosy and one sided. I get those comments from strangers though because my label is obvious: two children obviously belong to me and one of them looks completely different from me. That’s part of what I signed up for though or at least it falls under the category of “You get what you get and you don’t through a fit”, but some days just like you I wish the only label they saw was “Mom with her children.”
Laura's silly, long comment: part four
ReplyDeleteIt’s hard for me socially in some ways because I can be a kind of shy person. In the stage we’re in right now in life it feels like all of our friends are building their families. Most of them are doing this through getting pregnant. I feel like I stand out, because I do. Some days it doesn’t bother me and some days it does. When I get together with my friends the conversation almost always comes around to pregnancy stories. I don’t have a whole lot to add. Sometimes this bothers me, sometimes it doesn’t. During those conversations it is almost always my turn to share at one point and most of the time I LOVE talking about adoption and the way my kids came to me. But it is ALWAYS emotional for me and that’s not something I’m always up to or ready for. The way that my kids, especially Noah, came to me was traumatic in a lot of ways. I’ve had A LOT of loss come with my story of how my kids came to me and it’s really hard for me to even talk about how my children came to me without mentioning it in some way or other. So when I share my story I’m emotionally vulnerable and then sharing my story leads to people’s reactions like I mentioned above. They have their baggage that comes into their perception and approval of my story.
Wow, this was long! But yes, I can totally relate and I love having you as a friend for that reason!!
-Laura
Shelley,
ReplyDeleteI think you are an AMAZING mother. I have been lurking around your blog for a while now ;) and I can't tell you how many times your posts have filled my heart. You love your son so much and cherish every moment. What an example you are to me! I am sorry you are irked, hang in there!
Thank you so much everyone! I really appreciate the concern, and I can promise you that I am over this issue now and feeling great! Writing is such a therapeutic outlet for me and getting it out made me feel so much better. All the love helped quite a bit too, so thank you again!!!!
ReplyDelete@Kim - I am sure you are quite familiar with this topic and I admire your outlook on it! You are a great example.
@Laura - I LOVE you and love your way with words. I know that our hearts share very similar pains AND joys and I am so grateful to have you as my friend to share it all with!!!
@Erin - thank you so much! I am glad to have heard from you and am especially glad that you have enjoyed reading my little blog. I hope to hear from you again!!
Shelly- that must be so hard! I can't believe the things people say or even think! When I saw your little family I just thought it was beautiful! I noticed your little boy is just a little older than mine and wondered if he is as crazy as mine! But for some reason I never have really saw the physical differences in people. In HIGH school I remember people asking Necia if she ate a lot of rice. I finally asked her why she replied, miss I know you don't see it but I'm Chinese! Really that's why they ask you? I thought it was just stupid high school kids, I'm sorry you're proof that some people stay the same! I just see a very lovely family! Congrats!
ReplyDeletei agree and send you huge hugs! while our family is not "obviously" created through adoption, i do feel like sometimes that's exactly how our family is viewed (by those who know we created our family through adoption). I feel that some view my relationship with my son differently than their relationship with their biological son. I can't even fathom loving my son any deeper, wider or bigger than i love him today. There is not an ounce of me that doesn't love him with every fiber of my being. I had a neighbor once introduce me as "her friend that adopted a little boy"...ummm Milo was 18 mo old and excuse me but that' NOT what defines our family. However this family seems to bring his adoption up everytime we run into them.
ReplyDeleteSo difficult not to place labels.....or have labels placed upon us. I guess since that isn't going to stop ~ it's up to us how we react to it and let it affect us. :)
Hugs to you!!