I am going to do something today that has me a little sick to my stomach, to be perfectly honest. I don't like doing it. It makes me feel weak. And it offers up a very private glimpse into me - one that I try very hard to keep private and safely tucked away. I don't like feeling vulnerable, but today I am and I have to face it.
I need help.
More specifically, I need some advice from some of you,
my stay at home Mom friends.
For as long as I can remember, I have wanted to be a Mom, and I worked very, very hard to make sure that when that day came, I could stay at home and raise my children. I didn't want to send them off to daycare while I worked at some job that would never mean more to me than they did. And I sometimes thought that this day would never come, but now that it has, I try to never take it for granted.
Sometimes, when I am sitting out in the brilliant sun, watching Ian play with the neighborhood kids, or helping him create a Play-Doh masterpiece, or just giving him a bath and tucking him into bed, I think that I am the luckiest woman in the world. I am truly living the life that I always dreamed of, and I would never want to change it for anything. Getting the chance to stay at home and spend my days with my son, fills my heart with a peace and contentment that had been missing for most of my life.
I started working when I was 15, and even through school, I always had a job. I was never without work for long. I also didn't realize, until I quit working, how much of my stress, headaches, and all around grumpiness came from having to get up to an alarm clock and have a boss telling me what to do. When I was working, I always felt like I was treading water just to get by, but at any minute, I might just drown.
I felt the physical relief just wash over me the instant I turned in my notice when we got Hayden. I felt my lungs fill with air and I knew that the "real" me was finally getting a chance to be free. I realized that it was not only a desire of mine to be a stay at home Mom, but I was made for it. My sanity needed it and, for the most part, I have been much happier ever since.
So here comes the part where I admit my shortcomings and
plead for your guidance.
I feel like I am drowning again.
I will admit that being a stay at home parent is definitely NOT all roses and butterflies. There are days where I cry far more than I laugh, and days where I think it might be nice to have a "real" job to escape to. A job that I could clock out and leave behind, instead of a job where I am on duty from sun up to sun down, seven days a week, with some overtime in between.
I still wouldn't ever change it for the world, but it is hard - really, really hard!
I have good days and bad days, just like anyone else, but I am finding this particular rough patch, a little rougher and harder to pass through.
I find myself doing the things that I usually love, like cooking, cleaning, gardening, etc. and just resenting that this is all I am anymore. I feel like a slave, obediently doing what is expected of me, but that unless I was late with dinner, or the toilets stopped being cleaned, no one would even notice I was gone.
Okay... a little overly dramatic? Yes, but have any of you ever experienced this, and if so, what did you do to "snap" out of it? I am not talking medications, or herbal anythings, but something more like an emotional and mental "repair" to help me get back to feeling like a contribution and not just a slave.
I don't think I need a girls night, a massage, or some other temporary fix. But I guess I don't really know what I need, and that is why I am writing this post in the first place.
I have some ideas, but I still want to hear yours. I DO think I need something that is MINE alone that gives me pride and makes me feel good about myself. I think that would really help me. I think (and really hope) that exercising will help in this area so I am taking steps to make sure that happens more regularly. I am also guessing that having a demanding two year old and a workaholic/racing fiend for a husband might have something to do with it too, right?!?! =)
But I guess I just need to know that I am normal and that some of you have felt this way before. I want to hear that it will all be better soon.
So what ideas and/or help can you offer me? HELP!!!
oh shelly....how are we most often at the same place at the same time my friend? maybe...quite possibly that we both have 2 yr olds that like routine and consistency?? ;)
ReplyDeleteas you know i feel exactly the same way you do about becoming and being a mom in general. it is all i ever wanted and i was SO happy to turn my career in place of this role. :) SO HAPPY! ;)
i've always been very "goal" oriented and always had something cooking in my near future to look forward to or plan and organize for. with our financial situation being what it has been for a while ~ those goals and exciting adventures have taken a back seat....along with time to myself. ;) i often feel like i'm making decisions for or about others and decisions about myself just get lost in the shuffle. i was in tears the other day after a frustrating day of feeling "unheard" thinking i'm just the person that cleans the house, makes the meals and makes sure everyone has what they need ~ does ANYONE care what I need?? SO.....I totally "get you"! :)
Usually when I start feeling this way I DO need some "me" time, to just do some things that I LIKE to do, I think exercise will help a lot (i've been trying to start again too), and I also try and keep my perspective that time goes SOOOO quickly and one day I will blink and Milo will be ready to go off to college and won't I wish I had spent ALL the time I possibly could have with him. There will be time in the future to focus more on "me" (not that "me" needs to be lost right now, but...) right now my job is to focus on the little miracle that makes me crazy everyday, because before i know it ~ he won't be little any more. I've also thought about volunteering somewhere ~ is there something that's close to your heart that you could spend a couple of hours each month filling a need for? I feel like I've written a book, but these are the things that come to mind. I know my thoughts are all jumbled, but I just want you to know you are NOT alone.....I waited 8 yrs to find Milo and being a mom IS a very difficult job! :) YOU are one amazing mama!
Thank you Jamie! I really think you are my soul sister! Knowing that you have felt the same way makes me feel so much more "normal". I hope this feeling is just a passing one, but having friends like you to help me through it makes all the difference. Thank you again!!!
ReplyDeleteI'm not a stay at home Mom obviously BUT why don't you try volunteering or something for a couple of hours during the week. It could get you out of the house if you could find a sitter for little man....Just an idea. Your a great mama and it's obvious when Ian comes in to visit at work :) I'm sure that's a normal feeling but good luck on finding a happy medium.
ReplyDeleteWe have all been there! You are NORMAL! Being a stay at home mom is tough work. Pray a lot, plan a vacation, excersize and pray some more! Those things all seem to help me. I also believe in that getting together with other moms helps a ton. Let's go to the park next week. How about Tuesday at 11:00?
ReplyDeleteKeep up the good work. Raising Ian to be a good, hardworking, honest and giving man is the best work you will ever do in your life! You can do it!!!
This is the crux of my problem. I have the life I always wanted and some days it's not what I want AT ALL!!! I have been on a rough patch for months and I'm just starting to emerge from it.(Ben just told me to refer you to my posts where I broke down not long ago!) I know in my mind that I'm crazy for getting exactly what I wanted and still not being happy, but it is what it is. I have not found any magic answers. I usually need to look outside of myself when I start to get sick of my life. It's time to get out and help someone else. I have also found in my life that sometimes you just have to hunker down and ride it out. There are moments of reprieve when you get some time away and feel like the old you, or when you actually smile at your kids more than you scold. You're doing just right. Doing right doesn't mean life gets easy, it just means deep down you know you did your best. I love you.
ReplyDeleteThanks everybody for the sweet and thoughtful comments! Most of the time, at least for me, just typing out what is bothering me has amazing therapeutic powers and I usually feel better afterward. But reading all of your sweet comments has certainly helped too, so thank you again!
ReplyDelete@Kristen- if we can make it 10:30, you're on!!
@Ashley- Is it funny that every time I read your posts, my inner voice has a sweet, sassy, southern twang to it?!?!? I love you too and I am so grateful we married into the same family so we could meet and become friends! You are such a great mom and I really appreciate your advice and support. I have been trying to ride it out too, but helping someone else sounds like a great idea. I am going to give that a shot=)