Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Hair Poll

As I am sure many of you can probably relate to, I am a woman who has a hard time with my hair.  I am constantly wanting to change it.  Color it, cut it, curl it - Perhaps that is why I wanted to go to hair school?

Anyway, I am currently in the depths of a hair funk...again.

Here is the deal.  I have had short hair for a long time - probably since I got married.  I like short hair.  For me, it feels more styled and I don't shed as much.  

However, I see all of these beautiful women with beautiful long, flowing hair, and I turn green with envy. I think that I want to try hair like that. I am curious if it would look good on me or not.


So, I try to grow it out.  I wait, I try to leave it alone, and then after several months, I end up cutting it.  I have tried this routine more times than I can count, and I always end up cutting my hair before it really goes anywhere.  

I think that deep down, I really can't stand long hair anymore.  It feels hot, messy, and unstyled to me.  Plus, the only haircuts I have had that I really like on myself are short.

So herein lies my problem.  I have convinced myself that if I don't grow my hair out now, I never will.  The older I get, the less willing I am going to be at following through with the whole growing out stage, so I tried to tell myself it was now or never.  I stopped getting the trims and just let it go.  

When I felt the first urge of wanting to cut it, I decided that maybe a perm would help.  I figured this would give me more styling options and would, hopefully, get me through to the more bearable, longer stage.  

It worked for about two months.  I think it was mostly because it had been so many years since I had gotten a perm that it took me that long to get over the shock and actually be able to do something with it.

But now I am back to the wanting to cut it stage.  Is it just me, or do any of you perpetually fight with yourself over whether or not to grow out your hair?  I feel myself closing in on the losing end of the battle again.  I want to go back to the familiar short stage where I know a few style tricks and feel like my hair actually looks "fixed" every now and then.  

What do you think?

Maybe I should just buy a long wig=)


4 comments:

  1. Nice choices of hairstyles! I love the short curly one. That would look great on you and you could be enjoying that one now. The longer styles are going to take bit of patience. How about considering a High and Tight? http://coolmenshairstyles.com/mens-military-haircut-cutting-it-military-short.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved all those long hairstyles. I am currently in the same funk. I say grow it out. Your right, the older you get the harder it is to "pull off" long hair. And whenever you get discouraged just think of your neighbor who is in the EXACT same boat. I say, let's give it 6 more months to a year and if our hair isn't where we want it to be-then we can either chop it off together or go get extensions together...

    Remember- ponytails, braids, and hot rollers look so much better in long hair. And because we are stay at home mom's we only really need to "style" our hair maybe once or twice a week and the rest of the time we can wear a ponytail or a hat. But when we take off that ponytail or hat and actually do our hair-we will be the envy of all the other moms on the street;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been doing the same thing...Adam has been begging me to grow my hair out since we got married, so 10 years now. I'm finally doing it. But, I know that it won't look like any of the girls in those pictures, because I don't have cool hair! I think I'm just trying to prove it to Adam so he'll stop begging! Anyway...it's been over a year and I've persevered past the wanting to cut it stage, and it's doing nothing...just like I suspected. I think he's convinced me to go another year, but then it's all going. I just look better with short hair! P.S. Adam has that picture of Kate in the garage and dreams that my hair will look that way. Keep dreaming buddy, only if I have her hairdresser. Have you thought of extensions? I've heard if they are done right they can be great...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Myself, I like the short cut on me. I tried growing it out about a year ago, but it just seemed like I was always fustrated with it. When the wind would blow it was in my face, when I leaned forward it was in my face. I really don't like hair in my mouth, and that is what it seemed most of the time. Give me a short cut any time, and I agree with you, it looks stylish and I can do different things with it. Go for it girl ... either way I think you would look gorgous.

    ReplyDelete

We Love Comments