Thursday, September 2, 2010

Domestic Goodness

Okay, okay...so this post is nothing new.  But a recent weekend spent with my brother-in-law referring to how "domesticated" I have become, has gotten me thinking about, and appreciating the little life in which I live.

I just love being a Mom! And the fact that I don't have to work outside of the home, and can spend my days enjoying this miraculous title, and being entirely surrounded in domestic goodness, gives my heart a joy that I can't even begin to describe!!!

I know that this is precisely what I was made for.  I feel such a sense of purpose, and more than ever before, I feel so complete and peaceful that my life is just as it should be.  Days of cleaning, cooking, baking, washing, chasing, laughing, bathing, weeding, playing, hugging, giggling... this is who I am.
And I couldn't love it more!

Yesterday I felt like a champion because I took down all of our curtains, washed, ironed and re-hung them, super-cleaned, and I mean really cleaned the kitchen, washed windows, and started getting out my fall decorations. 

I feel like superwoman when I serve my family yummy, home-cooked meals instead of something boxed, frozen, or picked up from a restaurant.  My neighbors could probably hear me cheering when I perfected homemade wheat bread - thank you Shanae! And when I can make a healthy dinner from something that came from our own garden, well, life is pretty darn good!

So when my sister-in-law recently asked me if I wanted to do a little side computer job for her, I really wanted to shout "NO!"  Instead, I quietly told her "maybe".  She is a corporate wonder and working is a HUGE part of who she is.  So when I answered her with a "maybe", she was baffled.  She looked at me in complete and utter confusion and asked, "what reason would you have for not wanting to?"  The answer is simple - at least simple to me.  My life is exactly where I want it to be, and that does NOT include deadlines and spreadsheets anymore.  THANK GOD FOR THAT!!!  I don't want to take any time away from this beautiful little family of mine, if I don't have to.  My job is them, and I don't think I could be any happier about that.   This is the sweetest, greatest, and most rewarding job I have ever had!!!

Maybe it was all of the years I spent dreaming and preparing for this life that helps me to appreciate it so much now.  I am certain that my struggles with infertility and the long journey I had to travel toward motherhood has certainly awarded me with a perspective that I know I wouldn't have otherwise.  It helps me to stop, even in the midst of a terrible-two-tantrum, and look into the beautiful brown eyes of this child, this sweet miraculous child of mine, and marvel at where my life has led me.

That is definitely NOT to say that I don't have my moments of frustration and wanting to scream really, really loud, but the sweet, tender moments more than make up for it!!!

Let me give you a small example of what I am talking about.

Today, my reward came just after breakfast.  As I was giving Ian some options for his breakfast, he spotted the popsicles in the freezer and immediately started repeating "popsicle, popsicle, popsicle" over and over.   So we made the deal that he could have one if he ate his eggs and toast first.
(This whole negotiation thing is working wonders!!=)

So we made eggs.


After breakfast, we sat down to watch the morning news and he sat down right next to me, so close that our legs were touching.  He chomped away at his treat, and as soon as he was done, he thrust the empty stick at me and loudly said, "Mama!"  I took the stick from his sticky little hand, and he looked me directly in the eye, slightly smiled and said "Gank Ooh" (Thank You).

I had to hold back the tears.

Hearing his sweet little voice telling me thank you ... Seriously!!
How could he be any cuter???


 

4 comments:

  1. I love that last picture! SO cute. I never want to work again-I just want to keep raising little kids. It's the hardest and best job IN THE WORLD!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you are so happy and that you have your little Ian. What a miracle! I love your posts because they so often are an echo of how I feel too. There is not a day that doesn't go by that I don't pause and look at my children's faces and marvel that they are there and that I get to be with them. We have the best job ever. It is mentally, spiritually, physically, and emotionally the most challenging, wonderful, fullfilling work ever and we are so blessed to be doing it! You, Mike, and Ian are a match made in heaven!
    -Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you posted this. I love other women that find happiness and joy in their roles as wifes and moms. So much of that has been lost and so many women find the role demeaning. To each his own, but I love being at home with my beautiful children and being able to love, nurture and care for them in the best way possible. You are such a great Mom and wife, Domestic Godess for sure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi shelly ~ thanks for reaching out to me on my blog (on wings of hope) I'm so glad you found me! this post literally caused tears to fall down my cheeks as i read.....such beautiful beautiful words.....i feel so much the same and on days when the "terrible two's tantrums" strike ~ i need to come back and re-read your words. ;)
    so...our little dudes are just about the same age ~ you said ian was born in jan '09 :) we are such lucky mama's! :) your little guy is absolutely adorable!! and i LOVE that you let him help you scramble his eggs....maybe i'll have to try that. :)

    ReplyDelete

We Love Comments