Last week wasn't a very fun one at our house. Ian was sick, which equaled one VERY grumpy and whiny boy, one tired, worried and frazzled Mama and a Daddy who had to try and put up with both of us at the same time! Let's just say that it has been a week that I don't want to repeat anytime soon!!!
It started on Sunday morning when Ian woke up with raised bumps on his legs and red spots on his belly. He also had a fever and was just not himself.
I took him to the doctor on Monday and she verified that it was just a virus and to wait it out. She also said he would be contagious until his fever had been gone for 24 hours. That was really hard for Ian to grasp. He could see the neighbor kids outside playing and wanted to go out there SO badly too. We did make it to our front yard a couple of times and I had to wrestle to keep him in our yard.
His fever was pretty much gone by Wednesday, so I thought we were in the clear. Umm... yeah. Not so much!
This started Thursday morning.
Within a half an hour, it went from a few small spots on his cheek to his entire face being covered in raised, red, swollen nasty looking hives. (I should have taken a picture, because Mike was at work, and my description just doesn't do it justice. Oh well, I think you can get the idea).
This started so abruptly and was spreading so fast, that I ended up taking him into Instacare to get checked out. They didn't feel that this was related to his virus and said it looked more like an allergic reaction to them.
So on top of being sick with a virus that made him feel like he had the flu, now he was having to deal with hives as well! Plus, the fever was back. Poor little man!
We have since been racking our brains to try and figure out what he could have eaten to cause an allergic reaction, but haven't really come up with much. We have a couple of ideas, but we might just be grabbing at straws at this point. A friend of ours said her son got hives a lot from the age of one and a half to two and a half and then he just stopped getting them. They never could pinpoint what was causing his either. I am hoping it is something more like that than a serious allergy!!
Needless to say, Benadryl was our best friend for the next couple of days. Since his sickness began on Sunday, Ian hadn't been eating or sleeping well at all. So imagine our relief and pleasure when Friday evening, after a 5 hour nap that afternoon, he ate two bread sticks and a piece of pizza! And by Saturday, he was a completely new boy!
We had a really fun day, starting with family picures in the morning. I feared that we may have to cancel these when Ian's face was covered in hives - either that or turn them into Halloween themed family photos=) But luckily they went away, and we got our happy boy back. I really hope that they turn out all right. It was a gorgeous Fall day and Ian was super smiley (at least up until he got tired of posing and wanted to be done) so I am sure we will get some great ones. Thanks Jenn - can't wait to see them!!!
Then we went out to lunch where he was happy, singing, flirting, and eating - there was the boy that we know and love!!!
It is so painful to watch your little one suffering, and I definitely don't do well with it. But now that it is over, I can be grateful for the fact that he is healthy again, grateful for the week of snuggles and cuddling, and grateful for the whiny, ornery boy who made me appreciate my sweet, laughing, happy boy all that much more!!!


Sweet boy! I just love him. He really is one of the cutest kidlets EVER!
ReplyDeleteWhat a sad week! I'm glad he is doing so much better. It's so hard when your little one is sick and even worse when you can't figure out what is causing it. Noah has really bad allergies to animals. He breaks out in hives, his eyes get all puffy, he wheezes and has a hard time breathing. We've had to take him to the Dr. to get breathing treatments a few times especially early on when we didn't really know what he was allergic to. If Ian continues to get hives you might want to ask your Ped to do a blood draw and test for a few things. Our 1st Dr. told us they couldn't do allergy testing until they were 4 and it would be the kind where they prick his back with the allergens. Then we started seeing a Ped Asthma Specialist and found out they can do a blood draw and test for things he's allergic to now. This made me feel so much better especially because w/him being adopted who knew what he could be reacting to. They tested him for shellfish, peanuts, a few more foods, eggs, animals, etc. Anyway, more than you probably wanted to hear!
ReplyDelete-Laura
oooohh ~ poor little dude :( that sounds scary and not fun at all!! i'm glad to hear he's back to his fun little self and that "life" can go on as normal. :)good job mama!! :)
ReplyDelete